Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Healthy Holiday

there is no denying it, we are in the midst of the holiday season. it's a hard time to be consistent with healthy living habits. life gets busy and it seems we don't have time to eat right or exercise. i invite you to join me on my healthy holiday quest. i have 5 specific goals in mind. somehow i feel if i write it down and post it, i will be held to my commitment. that's one good thing about this blog, it keeps me honest.

1. eat small, balanced meals throughout the day. i have been very sporadic about my eating habits lately. i know that my body works best on 5-6 small meals a day (roughly every 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours). i not only eat less but i ward off hunger pangs which cause me to overeat. i also get migraines when i don't eat every couple of hours. so, i am committing to planning ahead and packing my snacks and meals if i will be on the go to ensure i don't miss my meals.

here are my specific goals:
- eat breakfast within the hour of waking
- have a sensible snack (fruit or veggies with a protein like nuts or low fat cheese) between 10:30 and 11am
- eat a small lunch no later 2:30pm (preferably including a salad)
- have another sensible snack after my workout (i usually exercise in the afternoon) either a protein bar or green monster with protein powder
- eat a balanced dinner with extra veggies no later than 7pm

2. stay consistent with exercise.  currently, i am doing strength training 2-3x a week and cardio 2-3x a week. at the start of this year, i was much more consistent with my cardiovascular exercise then with strength training. now that i have been doing personal training sessions with G, my cardio is less consistent. every sunday i try to plan my coming week cooking schedule and menus as well as my exercise plan for the week. i want to stay consistent with my exercise routine even more so this holiday season because inevitably i will be having more "treats" than usual.

here is my weekly exercise plan:
monday - yoga with weights
tuesday - personal training with G (strength training intervals at a high pace to keep my heart rate up with intervals of stairs or jump rope)
wednesday - 30-60 mins cardio
thursday - yoga and 30 mins cardio
friday - personal training with G
saturday or sunday - 45-60 mins cardio and dvd (either strength training or yoga/pilates)

i also usually take the dogs for a 15-30 min walk daily

3. eat more veggies! i have mentioned before that i love fruit. i never seem to have a problem getting my daily fruit servings in. however, vegetables are a different story. i like veggies, but i love fruit. drinking green monsters has helped my veggie intake tremendously. i almost always have a veggie with dinner, but have trouble eating them during the day. fruit just seems to be more portable. so, i am going to consciously eat more vegetables. at least 2 a day, maybe 3!

4. limit alcohol. i am by no means a lush, but i do enjoy a nightly glass of wine. however, i feel like this is not necessary every night and it is basically empty calories. at least during the holiday season, i am going to do away with my weeknight wine. again, i know i will be getting some extra calories with seasonal treats. i will save the glass for the weekend or special occasions (going out or having company over).

5. give myself a break. with all this said, i am not going to beat myself up if i make a misstep on goals 1-4. everyday, i will do my best to meet my goals but will enjoy life's treats. life gets crazy and busy, but i will take time to enjoy it! i will have a chocolate, spend time with my family, laugh, eat, drink, and be merry. i will strive to be good 90% of the time and not feel guilty about the other 10%.

let me know what your goals are this holiday season and we will keep each other accountable.
enjoy your holiday season with your friends and family - i know i will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

please be sure to include both your name and your email address when leaving a comment. thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...