Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Curry Crazy

i have been big on curry lately. not quite sure why but, it is what it is. lately it has been thai curry but today it was indian.

i actually made some for a client and it looked so good, i had to make it for myself. the recipe actually came from N, my thai curry recipe hookup (thanks N:) it is a photocopied recipe from gourmet. of course, i did my usual tweaking.

i know a lot of people seem to not like curry, but i really think if you fall in that category, you should give it another chance. i'm just saying . . .

i made some lightly sauteed haricot verts (i like my veggies crunchy and so does E). i served the chicken curry on whole wheat couscous instead of rice. i needed a change and couscous i one of E's favorite.



Chicken Curry with Cashews
(serves 4-6)

1/4 stick unsalted butter
2 medium onions, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs finely chopped fresh ginger
3 tbs curry powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
3 chicken breasts (i used 10 chicken tenderloins), cut into bite-sized pieces
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 c raw cashews
3/4 c plain whole-milk yogurt (i used greek)

heat butter in large pot over medium heat until foam subsides. add onions, garlic and ginger and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. add curry powder, salt, cumin and cayenne and stir for 2 minutes. add chicken and stir to coat. cook 3 minutes. add tomatoes, including juice, and cilantro. bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat. gently simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.

pulse cashews in food processor until finely ground. add cashews and yogurt just before serving. simmer 5 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.

serve over rice or couscous.

2 comments:

  1. so...what did you and E think?? I want a more specific review :)
    I think the green beans look great with it. Try it with peas....oh....I forgot E is anti-pea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the process of getting caught up with your blog Page and when I saw this picture of Brady and Madeleine I couldn't help but think of you and Wayne as I looked at this adorable picture. You two had great times together didn't you? This picture reminded me so much of you two. I also am enjoying your receipes. What a great job you are doing on this blog.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

please be sure to include both your name and your email address when leaving a comment. thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...